Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I Love Nueva York



I have been obsessing over Phillip Lim's Spring 2013 collection. Not only does he bring grunge back, but he also makes that touristy I "heart"New York shirt fashionable! I have been browsing the web waiting for these fantastic t-shirts to arrive in stores. However, the $350 price tag left me less excited. I was struck with a brilliant idea: DIY project!! So, yes folks, I decided to take on the challenge of making this I "heart" Nueva York shirt on my own.


What you need:
  - black cotton short sleeve tee
- iron-on white letters
- iron-on red sparkly transfer paper
- beads (go crazy! I went with a red and gold color scheme)
- silver tube beads (for collar)
- black thread
- sewing needle

                         


           I found it best to put on the shirt first and mark with stickers where to place the first letter of each line. Then, I ironed on each letter. Next, I cut out a heart shape on the red transfer paper and ironed it on. 

                           

I then sewed on the beads in random floral designs. Again, with this, go crazy! Any geometric patterns or shapes work with this tee. 



After that, I sewed three of the silver tube beads vertically along the collar. I separated the sections about 1/8" apart. This was definitely the most time consuming part of the whole process. But, in the end it was all worth it. 



Yes...it took 12 hours total to finish, but I couldn't be more happy to sport my DIY t-shirt!

Thanks for the inspiration Phillip Lim!



3 comments:

  1. awesome! it turned out really great girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really awesome! Your hard work totally paid off and you look amazing girl!!

    ReplyDelete